Sunday 23 February 2020

Part 2, making a guitar

Nearly six months back when this blog was started thud shared his art with us, making guitars. Today is part two.

The link to the first thread:

https://shirlshirley34.blogspot.com/2019/09/a-guitar-in-making.html


“Howdy folks. This here is how I turn what is called a paddleneck into part of an electric guitar. These come from someplace in Asia and are not real high grade but what I like is I get to finish them out however I like. After cutting the shape into the neck for the inlay I use resin mixed powdered mica to fill it. The mica I use is sold as material for making soft fishing lures and comes in lovely colors. It holds lots of bubbles but the resin I use takes 24 hours to set so they have time to escape. I need to made an enclosure around the resin while it sets up so it doesn’t run everywhere. It also needs to be around 3mm above the surface of the wood as it shrinks some while setting. It makes a nasty mess if not contained. When it hardens I just sand it flat. I then finish coat with polyurethane to match what was on the neck to start.” 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dollhouse Miniatures

    My Own Little World   Welcome to my very special little home where many happy times have been had by myself and quite a few visitors.......